Friday, January 30, 2009

Mighty Wingman

What is it about the Wingman that appeals to me so much? I've always admired the steady sidekick more than the star. I also find myself playing that role in life and in games. I don't know why but being the selfless best friend always seemed more romantic to me than being the glamorous star.

Always the designated driver. The Best Man. The one to come through in the clutch. Play weak side so my partner can play the power side. Play fullback so the tailback can score. Distract the ugly girl so my bro can work the hottie. Drive the warthog so B-Sack can get a frenzy. Cherishing every wheelman medal as I whip 180s with the e-brake.

Last night I was playing some casual Gears with the kids (don't judge) and Riley asked me, "Daddy, why do you always play as Dom?".

I smiled. "Because I like Dom."

"But Why?"

"Well ... he's a good soldier. He always takes care of Marcus and his friends. He's loyal and he's brave."

"But Isn't Marcus the best soldier?"

"Yeah ... Marcus is the Star. But Dom's the Wingman."

"The Wingman?"

"Yeah, The Wingman."


I traded my favorite shirt with this guy for his Wingman shirt. I seemed so cool to me.

I've spent hours bored & sober in dive bars and cheezy clubs just make sure nothing bad happened to my friends (or to make sure something good happened).

No comments: