Monday, June 8, 2009

Hate You Guys

So I decided to go on a hike with some friends this Saturday. Riley's softball game got cancelled and I knew the weather would be too crappy for v-ball so I got up early Saturday morning and headed to the usual meeting spot for all EWA trips ... the Factoria QFC.

I was starting to feel good about myself. Having the discipline to stay off the beach and give my back a break was a good idea. Then I get greeted with the following voice mail from Colin.

Hey Ardi it's Colin. I got your voice mail. Hey man, I'm really glad you're coming but I just wanted you to know that this isn't some fun hike like we normally do. This is a training hike for Rainier. It's pretty gnarly. Just wanted you know that. See you at QFC. Peace.

I called Adam.

Hey dude. I this hike pretty tough? Colin actually went out of his way to call me and warm me about it..

He laughs.

It's not any harder that the hike we did from Kelly's Cabin. Just a lot longer..

We all meet up at QFC and head out. B-Sack decides to cary a 35 Lb pack for better training. I guess they'll be haulin' 60 up Rainier. I don't know how B-Sack made it up there since I was struggling with just a camel back and couple of sandwiches in my pack. After the 1st mile we get our second wind and talk about Halo the rest of the way. The conversation makes it easier.

Anyway, Colin blasts his way to the top in no time with his giant stride and top notch cardio. When I finally make it to the top he asks me how I liked the hike.

Hate you guys.

Everybody laughs.

We eat for 30 minutes and head down since it's getting very cold and wet. Going down was even more work. I was using my legs and making sure no jarring or compression made its way to my spine. It seemed easier than going up but every time we stopped my shaking legs assured me otherwise. Adam and I talk about V-Ball on the way down and once again, the conversation makes things easier.

In the end I'm glad I did it and didn't hurt myself. B said if you tell anyone you did mailbox under 5 hours you deserve some props.

No comments: